THE NEW MILTON RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION
(AS AMENDED BY ANNUAL GENERAL ON 10TH MARCH 2018)
1. The name of the Association shall be The New Milton Residents’ Association (NMRA)
2. The objectives of the Association shall be to safeguard and further the interests of residents in any matter of public concern or topicality, to the best of its ability.
3. The Association shall be independent of all political parties and any religious affiliation.
4. All Residents of the area within the Milton Parish shall be eligible to become members. Residents living outside the area may become Associate members and will have the same benefits as full members, except advice or assistance on local matters and they shall not be able to vote at any meetings of the Association nor are they allowed to stand for any position on the committee. They will pay the same subscription as full members but may be required to pay an additional amount to cover postage and admin costs if monthly hand delivery of FOCUS is not practical.
5. Management of the Association shall be vested in a committee consisting of a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer and up to twelve elected members, together with (ex officio) the Editor of FOCUS, the official newsletter of the Association.
6. The Officers and remaining committee members shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. They shall remain in office until the next AGM, when they shall be eligible for re-election.
7. None of the Officers shall be elected to more than one office. The Chairman shall not be a member of Hampshire County Council, New Forest District Council or New Milton Town Council. The remaining committee shall not include more than three members of these councils.
8. At its first meeting after the AGM, the committee shall elect a Vice Chairman from among its members. The committee may fill any position not filled at the AGM or occurring during the year. Such co-opted members shall have the right to vote. They may also co-opt additional members on the committee as necessary.
9. The committee shall have the power to appoint sub-committees, chaired by an Officer or committee member onto which other members may be co-opted.
10. Each Committee member shall have one vote, except that the Chairman shall have an additional casting vote.
11. The financial year shall begin on 1st January. The subscription and advertising years shall begin on 1st April, set at such rates as are recommended by the committee and approved at the last General Meeting of the financial year—to be designated as a Special General Meeting for that purpose.
12. Banking: The Association’s funds will be invested in Current and Deposit Accounts with any bank(s) approved by the committee. All cheques issued must be signed by any two Officers. However, the Treasurer shall have sole authority to make payments using electronic banking facilities. Any limits for such electronic payments shall be set by the committee. The Treasurer shall submit to the committee accounts approved by the Association’s appointed Accounts Examiner, and these shall be published in the March edition of FOCUS.
13. The Annual General Meeting shall be held no later than 31st March to (a) receive the Chairman’s Report and the Treasurer’s Report and Accounts, (b) elect the committee (nominations for new committee members must be accompanied by the nominee’s written acceptance, and must be in the hands of the Secretary at least 14 days before the AGM) and notice of this requirement must be published in the January or February editions of FOCUS, (c) appoint the Accounts Examiner and Hon. Legal Adviser, and (d) consider any other business at the Chairman’s discretion.
14. A Special General Meeting may be convened by (a) the Chairman or Vice Chairman, (b) a majority of the committee, (c) receipt by the Secretary of a written request signed by at least 30 paid-up members stating the purpose of such meeting. The Secretary shall convene such Special General Meeting within 8 weeks of the request and give notice of its purpose in FOCUS.
15. General Meetings shall be held throughout the year within the New Milton area, open to all residents (non-members may attend but not vote). At such meetings, and the AGM, a quorum shall be 30 members. Committee meetings shall be held six times a year and 5 shall form a quorum.
16. Any of the scheduled General Meetings may be designated as a Special General Meeting if a particularly important matter needs to be discussed, approval or voting is called for. Advance notice of the Special Meeting’s purpose to be published in FOCUS.
17. Any member shall accept that all Association records, whether provided by the Association or created by the member in connection with their work for the Association, and any software provided by the Association, shall only be used for the purposes of the Association and remain the property of the Association at all times. The member undertakes that, should he or she discontinue their role within the Association, they will return all such records to an appropriate Officer as directed by the committee.
18. These rules may be amended only by a two thirds majority vote of any members present at the AGM or at a Special General Meeting. Other than the case of amendments to the Rules, all proposals at an AGM or Special General Meeting may be carried by a simple majority. Written notice of proposed amendments or additions must be submitted to the Secretary in sufficient time for them to be notified to members through FOCUS one month before the meeting is convened.
19. Should circumstances necessitate the winding up of the Association, prior notice shall be given to members through FOCUS and discussed at the next available General Meeting (to be designated as a Special General Meeting). Disposal of any funds remaining after all commitments have been met shall be decided at that meeting.
20. The Rules of the Association shall be reproduced annually in the January or February edition of FOCUS.